Need a Moving Checklist? We Have You Covered
Moving is stressful — we know, we’ve been doing it a long time. There’s so much more that goes into a move than brown boxes and a truck, and trying to keep track of it all can be overwhelming. To help, we’ve created the Adamantine Spine Moving Checklist: a complete collection of what to do and when to do it. Not only will it streamline your packing process, but it gives you the freedom to focus on the important things, like convincing your kids that their stuffed animals are looking forward to riding in the moving truck.
Checklist before Moving
One to Two Months Before Moving Day
- Make arrangements for a free estimate from Spine Moving and book your move as soon as possible. Summer is a particularly busy time for movers so it’s best to make your reservation at least a month or two ahead.
- Make travel arrangements, if necessary, with airlines, buses, car rental agencies and hotels
- Begin packing. Clearly label boxes with your last name, a brief list of contents, and destination for the box (i.e. “DR” for Dining Room, “MBR” for Master Bedroom).
- Sort, discard, sell or donate unwanted items. The more you downsize the less your move will cost!
- Make arrangements for transporting pets
- If necessary, confirm elevator, loading dock, and parking reservations for moving day at both current and destination addresses
- Fill out change of address order form for post office
- Fill out an IRS change of address form
- Notify doctors, dentists, and other health service providers
- Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding home-based businesses, professional tests, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you
- Take inventory–including serial numbers and photos or video–of your belongings before they’re packed
Two weeks before
- Finalize downsizing plans by donating or discarding unsold and unwanted items.
- Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil.
- Switch utility services to new address–inform electric, disposal, water, telephone and cable companies of your move
- Make arrangements for child care and/or a pet sitter for moving day.
- Arrange for time off from work to prepare for the move and to be present on moving day.
- Check with your insurance agent to ensure you’ll be covered through your homeowner’s or renter’s policy during the move
- Collect valuables from safe-deposit box and make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand-carrying them to your new address
- Confirm travel reservations
One week before
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving
- Remove all permanently affixed items that you wish to take from walls and ceilings (drapes, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, etc.).
- Change address with all newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals to which you subscribe
- Alert friends and family to new address
- Close bank accounts and have your funds wired to your new bank–before closing, be sure there are no outstanding checks or automatic payments that haven’t been processed
- Defrost, drain, and dry freezer and refrigerator; place deodorizer inside to control odors
Checklist for Moving Day
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, attic and garage to be sure they are empty
- Identify furniture that is fragile or has been weakened by previous damage and bring it to your movers’ attention on moving day.
- Separate and mark items not intended to be moved by your movers.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, passports, plane tickets, cash, credit cards, and prescription medications. These should travel with you in your personal vehicle on moving day.
- Disconnect propane tank from gas grill. We won’t be able to transport the tank on moving day.
- Clear steps, walkways, and drive during inclement weather.
Checklist after Arriving
- Renew your driver’s license, auto registration, and tags
- Shop around for new insurance policies, especially auto coverage
- Revise your will and other legal papers to avoid longer probate and higher legal fees
- Locate the hospitals, police stations, veterinarian and fire stations near your home
Click below to get an honest quote on moving locally.